The CRFM has as its objectives:
- the efficient management and sustainable development of marine and other aquatic resources within the jurisdictions of Member States;
- the promotion and establishment of co-operative arrangements among interested States for the efficient management of shared, straddling or highly migratory marine and other aquatic resources;
- the provision of technical advisory and consultative services to fisheries divisions of Member States in the development, management and conservation of their marine and other aquatic resources.
In pursuance of its objectives, the CRFM is guided by the following principles:
- maintaining bio-diversity in the marine environment using the best available scientific approaches to management;
- managing fishing capacity and fishing methods so as to facilitate resource sustainability;
- encouraging the use of precautionary approaches to sustainable use and management of fisheries resources;
- promoting awareness of responsible fisheries exploitation through education and training;
- according due recognition to the contribution of small scale and industrial fisheries to employment, income and food security, nationally and regionally, and
- promoting aquaculture as a means of enhancing employment opportunities and food security, nationally and regionally.